Thursday, July 9, 2015

Working My Way To Texas

I spent the night last night in Dandridge, TN which was a good stopping point for me with my load of aluminum pipe that I delivered today in Moun Juliet, TN.  After getting that done I was dispatched to Delhi, LA so that I can grab a load going to Texas.  That's right, I put in my request a while back for a Texas load so that I could go get my "baby girl" for a whirlwind summer trip with her "old man."

Tonight I am in Winona, Mississippi at the Pilot truck stop.  I'm not a fan of Television, but most truck stops have a driver's lounge area where the drivers can sit down and relax in front of the T.V.  I just had to show you the driver's lounge at this truck stop.  Most of them can seat twenty or thirty people, and to be honest with you they are usually fairly crowded.  This one tickled me - it looked more like a walk-in closet that they didn't know what to do with, so they stuck four chairs and a flat screen T.V. in there so they could advertise that they have a driver's lounge!



Here I am in Mount Juliet getting my tarps off and getting my load ready to be off-loaded by the fork-lift operator.  Usually when you have a load of pipe that fills up your trailer like this you have got some weight on there, but since this is aluminum pipe I was only grossing out at about 46,000 pounds.  Some of my loads put me up around eighty thousand pounds, but this one was pretty light.



I am really looking forward to getting home to see my dear wife.  As much as I enjoy this job, it is a really difficult thing to be separated from the finest woman I've ever known.  The truck driver suffers, and those he loves suffer also.  It is a sad reality to this career.  My wife bears it well, and I appreciate her long suffering, and the grace with which she handles the whole situation.

I'm also looking forward to getting my Abigail and taking here with me on a whirl-wind tour of the country.  We're gonna have a great time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment