Tuesday, July 7, 2015

An Extended Stay in Cressona

Well, it has happened again.  I came to Cressona for a load and they cannot seem to get it together for me.  I've been here since yesterday at around 3:00 pm and they finally had my load ready about twenty four hours later.  I spent my day today wandering around this interesting little town on foot.  I'm sure some of the locals think they've got a new "homeless" person in town.  Once I had my load it only made sense to me to wait for another ten hours to go by and that will 'reset" my seventy hour clock.  I don't want to bore you with the regulations that truck drivers have to work under, but by doing that 34 hour break I will be a lot more free to run the way I want to.  If I don't get that break in I will only be allowed to work for five hours tomorrow due to what is referred to as re-cap hours by the very intelligent folks in Washington, D.C. who came up with these mostly illogical rules that we work under.

Enough of that.  I ate breakfast this morning at a favorite little spot of mine, Jean's Place.  It is not particularly exceptional food, but it has an atmosphere that reminds you of generations gone by, almost Mayberry like.  This is a small restaurant run by Jean herself, all by herself.  It is tucked away in one of these unique to this area buildings just down the street from the SAPA plant.  If you look at this photo, Jean's Place is in the lower right hand section (white area) of this building.  The up stairs of the building is lodging with two different dwellings, and the other side of the lower section is another small restaurant called Site's Luncheonette.  I've yet to go into the other diner, but I will some day.  I find Jean's Place so intriguing that I have never even been tempted to go into the other place.



Jean's Place has a total of five tables in it that you can dine at.  There was one gentleman inside when I entered, and soon after me another one showed up.  So, there were three customers in there.  Since I am a stranger in town I didn't expect Jean to come and sit down at my table with me, but she certainly did with the other two men, and had a nice little chat with each of them.  She does know that I am a truck driver getting loads from the SAPA plant.  When I got ready to leave she said "I guess it;s time for you to go again, we'll see you next time your in town."  Here's a look at the inside of her little diner.  It is so small I couldn't even get back far enough to include all five of the tables in the shot!



I walked quite a bit today, I enjoy walking and it is bound to be good for me.  A truck driver can end up sitting for so long in that truck that it is not conducive to good circulation in your legs.  So I do what I can to combat that.  I took another shot of some of the local architectural style that is so dominant here.  I found a unique wooden bridge in town that crosses a section of four or five railroad tracks running along side each other.  It seems to have been put there so that the local folks can cross over the tracks on foot without the inherent dangers of crossing those tracks.  When I got across to the neighborhood on "the other side of the tracks" I spotted these two houses sitting next to each other.



I'm going to bed a little early tonight.  I've got to get up and get to work around three o'clock in the morning if I am going to get this thirty four hour break in and still be able to deliver this load on time.  Good night!

Abigail, I am on my way to get you!

No comments:

Post a Comment