Monday, July 6, 2015

Waiting for my next "Marching Orders"

I'm spending the night in Cressona, PA tonight at the SAPA plant nestled in among the cute little houses that make up this very old town.  Here's an example of the architectural style that is predominate in this town.



The homes have a small footprint, and almost always a front porch.  Notice the decorative trim below the eave of the roof, and the small door that is the entrance to the basement.  These homes are very narrow and often fairly deep.  I find them very intriguing - I would love to get a look inside one of them just to see how they are laid out on the inside.  There are hundreds of them built like this in this little town.

I successfully delivered my two stop load first thing this morning with my first stop being the Star Headlight and Lantern company in Avon, NY, and my final stop in North Collins to E&D Specialty stands.  This was delivered on time despite the delay of a whole day due to the tire issue I had.  My dispatcher was thrilled, and sent me a message with the word "Awesome" in there describing my accomplishment.  I think he really gets carried away with his compliments - I mean, for me, I'm just doing my job.  I guess he has a lot of people he deals with who just can't seem to get things done in a timely manner.  I try to help other drivers understand how to succeed at this stuff, but most of the time they just look at me like I'm crazy when they hear how I do things.  I don't know what ever happened to the good old American work ethic that our forefathers had, but I'm afraid it is sadly missing in most folks (at least in most truck drivers) these days.  This is my fourth week in a row where I ran over the three thousand miles a week threshold.  That is how you want to do this stuff if you want to make any money at it.

Okay, here's a shot of the folks at E&D Specialty Stands unloading the material I brought them.  These folks build stadium seating for ball parks and such.  So, it is possible that you have set down at a ball game on the very materials that I hauled across the country.



My first stop in Avon reminded me of one of the interesting sites you see in upstate New York, as you're traveling around, is lots of old barns.  Much of this area was settled in the early eighteen hundreds, and the barns they built then are still standing today.  This one sits across the street from Star Headlight & Lantern on a beautiful old farm.  The original home has either been torn down or destroyed in some way, and a nice modern one has been built in it's place, but the original barn is still standing strong, as are so many of them all across this area.



I'm waiting here tonight to find out the details of my next load.  It often happens here (at this plant in Cressona) that you show up in the evening, and then you get a call in the middle of the night around 2 or 3 in the morning telling you what the details of your load are.  So, I am going to bed and try to get a little rest before I have to get up and do it all over again.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment