Friday, July 3, 2015

Delays... The Truck Drivers Constant Companions

I've been sitting in Olive Branch Mississippi at the Knight terminal there since 11 a.m.  It is now close to 9 p.m.  I'm on a run up into upstate New York that has one stop at the Star Headlight and Lantern company that I told you about the other day, and then it has as it's final stop a business in North Collins that makes stadium seating or "stands".  Yes, when you go to see a ball game at a stadium it is possible that you are parking your self onto some of the aluminum materials that I have hauled across this great country.

I've been delayed here because I discovered a steel shaft, which appears to maybe have been a chisel or a similar tool that found it's way into the roadway, and then consequently into my tire.



I pulled in here to get this fixed because I wasn't exactly comfortable with driving all the way up into upstate New York with this steel shaft poking through my tire, but the folks here don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to get me back on the road.  So, I wait... and wait... until tomorrow when I am told they will "get to me".  The tire is not leaking air, but still it seems like I should not take any chances with this thing causing me to have a blow-out while rolling down the interstate and probably causing havoc for more folks than just myself.  In this business you have always got to consider what effect your actions will have on the other motorists whom you share the road with.  So, I am delayed, but not for too long... I hope.

After my last run down through the Carolinas, I picked up a load of lumber in Fayette, Alabama that was my back haul - it delivered right to the SAPA plant in Delhi.  They use the wood for crating and packaging the out going products that I deliver.  When I left the wood yard where I picked up the lumber I asked one of the employees there if there was a place nearby that I could get some breakfast that might have truck parking.  He told me where the "Cruise In" diner was just a few blocks away, and said they had room for me to get in and park my truck.  I was pleasantly surprised by this cute little diner where I ate a breakfast plate of two eggs with bacon, grits, and toast for the grand total of $3.68!  They had an outside dining area with a cute little table that was designed to look like a 1957 Chevy.



I realize I'm rambling on and not even sticking to the main subject of delays, but I'm bored here and just throwing out what ever comes to mind... so I will also tell you about the handsome little red winged black-bird that I saw today, only this was not my first encounter with this particular bird.  The last time I was at this terminal I was having my truck serviced in the shop and having to wait around in the "driver's lounge' while they did what they do here.  I happened to notice a red winged black-bird admiring his reflection in one of the windows of the driver's lounge.  I didn't really think a lot about it at the time, I've seen male cardinals do this also... interesting isn't it that it is usually the male species we see doing silly antics like this.  But here he was again, prancing around in front of the window, obviously enjoying looking at himself, or maybe he was thinking it was an intruder into his territory that he wanted to put on alert, and let him know he was not welcome.  It is really hard to say what might be going on in that little bird brain of his, but here he was again, and I can only assume that he is a regular visitor to that reflective window that amuses him so.  It is not a good photo due to the screen, but here is the proud little fellow twittering away his time almost as fruitlessly as I am on the other side of the glass.



When I finish up this run into upstate New York I will be working my way back to Texas so that I can pick up my youngest daughter Abigail, who will join me for a grand adventure on the highways and byways of this great land.  I am really looking forward to our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment