Monday, February 8, 2016

Supercalifragilisticexpialadoches?

Not sure I know how to spell that crazy word which sounds "quite atrocious."

Well, Super Bowl 50 has come and gone - I was driving through the game, in fact I drove until about 3 a.m. so that I would be sitting at the gate of Horton Automatics in Corpus Christi, TX this morning when they open up for business.  So, I didn't see a moment of the game, in fact I don't even know who won!  A truck driver's life is so disconnected from everything - Oh I know we live in the age of information, and with a few swift clicks on my computer I could gather that knowledge, but the simple truth is, I personally could care less!

I raised three girls who were not the least bit interested in sports, and we have this strange little family tradition of watching "Mary Poppins" on Super Bowl Sunday.  If you want to know the truth I haven't seen a Super Bowl game in years!  Well maybe I caught some of it while at a truck stop - I honestly can't remember.

It all started way back when my girls were little and I went to a Video Store (Remember those things - they are non-existent now days) on Super Bowl Sunday, to rent "Mary Poppins" for my little girls, who had requested that little favor from their Dad.  The young college age fellow behind the counter looked quizzically at me, and even asked me "You do realize your checking out Mary Poppins, right?" "Oh yes," I replied.  At which he began an inquiry as to why I wasn't going to be watching the game.  Upon hearing my answer he looked at me with a visible sense of pity on his face and asked me if I would be interested in coming over to his house - he was having some friends over to watch the game and wanted me to know that I would be quite welcome to come If I wanted to.  So there you have it - the genesis of a long standing family tradition in my home - we watch "Mary Poppins" instead of the Super Bowl.  I don't know if my kids got together this year to continue the tradition or not, but I can assure you that if I had been there we would have been watching Dick Van Dyke cavorting around with those silly looking Penguin in that one dance scene along with my all time favorite scene where he and the other "sweeps" are dancing all about on the roof tops of the houses and popping down the chimneys with ease.

Oh boy, I have really thrown my "Man Card" away this week.  I have confessed to preferring "Mary Poppins" over Peyton Manning and Cam Newton, and I had a waitress in Virginia declare that I was not a "Real Truck Driving Man!" because I didn't drink coffee.  I think I feel my testosterone levels decreasing just talking about all this - It's not been a very good week for my hormones - Oh well...

On a brighter note, I am headed home today!  I requested this load to Corpus so that I could go by my house for a few days.  I've got some things to take care of - one of which is seeing my good friend and physician, Mark Cline, who is going to remove some sun damaged skin from my forehead and send it off to the lab to make sure it isn't anything bad.  I'll probably have a permanent raised eyebrow on one side of my face now if he has to remove a lot of skin on that side - oh well, if it looks to goofy I'll just go back in and have him take out a plug on the other side of my forehead and give me the full "Nancy Pelosi" look!

Here's a little truck driving/Music trivia for you that's related to this post/subject.

There was a song written in 1954 by a fellow named Terry Fell, ( I hope I have that right) called "Truck Drivin' Man."  Buck Owens made a hit out of it, and the song has had a nice long life.  When I was a young teen interested in music, (mostly rock) we enjoyed a version of that same song done by the J. Geil's Band.  That little song has been recorded by many different artists and found it's way over into several different genres of music.

I can still recall that hopping little tune in my head today... it was about stopping at a "Road House" in Texas, that not only had great coffee, but also had a song in the "Juke Box" called "A Truck Drivin' Man."

"Pour me another cup of coffee, it is the best in the land,
I'll put a nickel in the Juke Box, and play me A Truck Drivin' Man"

1 comment:

  1. J. Geils Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W495WuqTLv4

    Buck Owens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hD9g93rC0

    ReplyDelete