Wednesday, February 17, 2016

All In A Day's Work... Or Not

One of the things I enjoy about truck driving is the fact that you have the ability to measure out your own amount of pay.  This job is totally performance based.  Of course there are also limitations that you have to work with.  Things like HOS (hours of service rules), bad weather, problem receivers and shippers, and of course physical problems like breakdowns of your equipment.



Here is my truck with a wrecker backed up to it preparing to pull it away from the TA truck stop in Lexington, Virginia.  My truck almost caught on fire here due to an electrical short.  When I woke up here from a nice sleep during a 20 degrees night I smelled a strange smell like rubber burning in my cab.  The heat generated by the short melted a bunch of wiring and burned a hole in the air lines for my air brakes - not a good way to start your day in this business!

That was yesterday, today I am in Harrisonburg, Virginia waiting on the repair work to be completed at a Volvo dealership here.  I spent the night in the Ramada Inn here, and I will be spending tonight here also. Hopefully they will have me rolling again sometime tomorrow.  Sometimes you measure out yourself the amount of money you make at this and sometimes it seems somebody else is measuring it out for you.

2 comments:

  1. That's scary! Glad you caught it before it became even more serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you woke up before the cab filled with smoke! Lexington has bad juju, it seems.

    ReplyDelete