Thursday, October 29, 2015

So What's A Truck Driver To Do?

I'm in Pennsauken, Pennsylvania tonight parked in the parking lot of CED Electrical distributors, waiting on them to get here in the morning to unload the materials I have for them on this load.  This is my second of six stops on this load.  The following stops are all in Connecticut.  This load was not ready to go until late Tuesday night in Delhi.  I left out with it at around 10:30 p.m.  I drove all through the nights on Tuesday and Wednesday so that I could arrive in Riverdale, New Jersey Thursday morning.  When I set my air brakes at the back of the building where they unload me here, I had one minute left on my legal driving hours for that day!  Talk about cutting it close, you can't get any closer than that!

I had to drive like a crazy man to make this load work out,  If I didn't get that stuff to Riverdale by Thursday morning I was not going to have time to get the rest of the stops made by Friday.  If I can't get unloaded by Friday... well, I'm stuck up here for the weekend waiting on folks to get back to work on Monday.  The craziest part about this scenario is that after getting to Riverdale my time of driving was completely used up, so once I got unloaded there, I had to take a ten hour break before I could drive again.  Then it was only about an hour and a half drive to Pennsauken, but by the time I can get there they are closed for the day so I have to take another ten hour break until the morning comes rushing in.  So, here I am taking my second ten hour break.  These ten hour breaks are for you to sleep and get rested up for your next lengthy driving period, but two of them almost back to back?  What's a driver to do with all that free time on his hands?  Well, he could just take a little walk and enjoy the sights of the season in the area he is for the day, and that is what I did.  So, I will proceed to share with you how my day was spent today.

I took a walk in a nearby wood where I discovered a small babbling brook...



I discovered a pair of snakes in an amorous moment together on a rock.  What are snakes doing out here in New Jersey on October the twenty ninth?



I enjoyed the beautiful fall foliage in a nearby neighborhood...





I enjoyed the crunching of the leaves under my feet...




I enjoyed the foliage and the unique architecture of a small neighborhood that I walked through...











I enjoyed the solitude of a pleasantly situated park bench...



Then I followed the brook back to where my truck was waiting for me...



Then I rested so I could get back at it and drive over here to Pennsauken.  I'll try to jump back in here in a few days and keep you updated.  I'm working on getting myself home so I can see my beautiful bride... after thirty something years, she still seems like a young bride to me.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are so beautiful! Really, your composition is so great :)

    ReplyDelete