Wednesday, October 21, 2015

It Was A Rogers And Hammerstein Kind Of Day

"Oh, what a beautiful morning,
Oh, what a beautiful day!
I've got a wonderful feeling,
Everything's going my way!"

Those words come from the opening number in the classic musical "Oklahoma," composed by the dynamic duo, Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein II.  If you're curious why I know all this seemingly useless information it is because over the years my daughters and their cousin Kassie have watched this musical enough times for me to have almost the entire thing memorized.

I left Greeneville, Tennessee early this morning and was witness to a beautiful sunrise while being refreshed by the 38 degrees cool fresh morning air.  The air had just enough "bite" in it to quicken your senses.  It made for a great start to a really successful day.  I couldn't help but think of those words from "Oklahoma" as I was getting started this morning.  Tonight I am sleeping in Riverdale, New Jersey on my customer's property.  I have three locations to deliver to tomorrow.  The other two are in Connecticut, but because I was able to make it all the way here tonight, I can get unloaded here first thing in the morning and then get on over to Connecticut and get those two customers tended to.  This should set me up so that I have enough time to go and pick up some return materials from Permasteel tomorrow also.  That will constitute my back haul load to Delhi.

It seemed like it was just a few weeks ago when I was thinking of some other words from that same song as I traveled through some of the Midwest states: "The corn is as high as an elephant's eye..."  Yep, the corn was up high back then, but now it has been harvested and the stalks have been gently plowed back into the soil where they will return to dust and feed the next crop.

Life marches on following the steady rhythm of an unseen hand.  It is a faithful testament that we are not our own masters.  I drove along under a beautiful clear sky today just thinking of and longing for that one day when that unseen hand, which "holds all things together," will rend the skies, and open up for us a door into heaven.  We will be forever with Him, enjoying Him forever.  As beautiful and wonderful as my day was today, it will pale into an unrecognizable pleasure when compared to the great day that is coming.  There will be music that causes Rogers and Hammerstein to blush with shame and bow their faces to the ground on that day.  We will be free from the restraints of time, the demands of schedules, and the tyranny of life as we know it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment