Sunday, May 4, 2014

Taking Sarah Along



Some of you who have been around a while will remember when I documented my travels with my oldest daughter. This week my middle daughter took some time off from her job to ride with me and I thought I would repeat that little exercise for the sake of any new lurkers and regulars that may be interested in what life on the road is really like.

I came through the house with a load of plastic pipe welding equipment that I picked up in Gallatin Tennessee that was headed to Katy TX. The receiver had such a tight spot I had to turn around in to get backed into a bay that was really only designed for something like a one ton truck, that I had to jack-knife the truck hard enough so that I could get the trailer to move forward with the tractor moving in reverse. Here's a photo of the load I had on the truck when I picked up my daughter at the house.



My daughter Sarah and I delivered that first load and then promptly got another load to pick up in Vidor Tx that was headed for Abbeville South Carolina. I surprised Sarah with a pink hard hat that I had ordered for her in anticipation of this event. Here she is decked out in her PPE (Pink Protective Equipment)



Well, it was interesting that we start out our journey together in exactly the same place at Vidor TX. Do you remember the place that had the sign warning us about the alligators? That's where I started my travels with my oldest daughter, and this is where Sarah and I started also.



Just as soon as we got loaded up with these slinky coils we got rolling on into Louisiana where we spent the night at Breaux Bridge.



I try to make these trips with my daughters special for them so we managed to view some of the local artwork...



And sample some local cuisine,,,



All at the same place!



Well, we rolled 615 miles the next day to get to Madison Georgia, where we set ourselves up for a 34 hour reset because my hours are running low on my 70 hour clock. We cooked a jambalaya in the crock-pot while we were rolling down the road and enjoyed the smell on the road and the flavor at the truck stop when we finally stopped for the night.



It's spring time in the south and we've been enjoying scenes like this down here where the wild flowers are in full bloom.





It sure beats looking out your window at scenes like this - these kind of views got a little bit old during the long winter.



I'll keep this thing posted as we move along, I hope you enjoy coming along for the ride!

2 comments:

  1. Before reading your blog I hadn't considered a crock-pot as one of the essential accessories I'd be needing; I used one when I was a single guy, and anticipate cooking with one again once I start my trucking career. It has never tipped over, has it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes it has tipped over once. I made a quick stop and spilled bean soup all over the place - what a mess! Since then I have learned to prop it up so that doesn't occur again.

    ReplyDelete