Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dreaming About Dwarves, Dryads, And Mr. Tumnus

I'm waking up on this chilly Wednesday morning in Cressona, Pennsylvania at the SAPA plant. The previous night I slept in the parking lot of Whelen engineering in Charlestown, New Hampshire. That night I was waiting to get unloaded, and this one I'm waiting to be loaded. There is a lot of waiting to this job.  I don't mean that as a complaint, and I really should clarify at this point that this job in particular cuts out a lot of the wait time involved in most trucking jobs.  Being a dedicated driver for this particular account means that my loads are almost always pre-loaded and waiting on me to get there.  Unfortunately, that is only true of the loads that come out of the plant in Delhi.  When I referred to waiting in Charlestown, New Hampshire it is because I purposely got myself there after their receiving hours so that I could take my required ten hour break on their property before my next driving shift.  By doing that I do not have to start my clock running and wasting my time that I'm allowed for my next time period at the wheel.  That is a strategy that I often employ in my management of my legal working hours.  And since I had to wait a while on my dispatcher to tell me what I should be doing next, I was not burning up my potential working hours for my next on duty time period.  So, what I'm trying to say is that some of this waiting has a purpose to it.

While there is nothing particularly interesting about the lot I slept in last night, the previous night that I spent in New Hampshire had this curious Narnian like lamp post next to my truck.



I was just sure that at any moment I was going to encounter Mr. Tumnus as he made his way to his comfortable little lair in the snow covered Hew Hampshire forests.

After waking from a night filled with dreams about Narnian creatures, I got unloaded first thing in the morning. I then had to wait for a little while on my next marching orders which sent me here to Cressona to grab a load of extrusions going to a couple of different locations near Nashville, Tennessee.

I saw something I have never seen before while in Charlestown. I was sitting in my truck waiting for a message from my dispatcher when I tilted my head back to take a drink of water and through the sun roof of my truck I spotted the strangest rainbow I've ever seen. Most rainbows are in an arch shape from the earth arching upward to the sky and then back toward the earth. This one appeared to be upside down, or upon climbing out of the truck, so as to view it better, it was more like it was laying on it's side! It looked, for all the world, like a rainbow smile.




The temperature in New Hampshire had warmed up to five below zero by the time I began to turn my truck in a southerly direction. It's a beautiful area, but they can have it as far as I'm concerned. It's just way too cold up there.

1 comment:

  1. That's so interesting dad, I have never heard of an upside down rainbow!! Also, the lamp post Narnia correlation is perfect! I can't wait to share these adventures with you.

    ReplyDelete