Friday, December 12, 2014

The Best Laid Plans of Mice And Men...

Well my plan didn't exactly come together like I hoped today, but I always have a back-up plan working in my mind.  A truck driver has lots of time to think, unfortunately most of that time is taken up by thinking about his job.  My first two stops didn't get themselves in too big a hurry to unload me, and with the weather being foul and a long ways to go to get over to North Collins New York, I quickly realized I wasn't going to make it there before they stop receiving.  So I made a phone call to the plant, and the helpful gentleman on the line told me that he understood, and said if I would be there first thing in the morning, he would have someone there to unload me!  That is even better!  Now I don't have to rush myself through the snow, and I can still get unloaded and keep my wheels turning this weekend.  I wasn't even considering asking for someone to unload me on the weekend, but he offered it up and I accepted.

This is really helpful since I already have another load to get on that is waiting on me down at Cressona Pennsylvania.  So, once again I am sleeping in someones parking lot.  That way I can get unloaded in the morning without driving my truck in here which allows me to not start my clock until I start rolling on to the next destination.

It was a long day - I went from Connecticut up into Massachusetts, then over into upstate New York, and all the way across the state to the Buffalo area where I ended up in North Collins.  I passed just north of the Catskill mountains and a little south of the Adirondacks, it is a really pretty area of New York.  The people of upstate New York are usually very friendly, they remind me of East Texans, I don't know why when you get into New York City they get such an attitude, but the people out here in the rural areas are totally different.

Just in case you are wondering what I eat when I'm camping out in these places, I will assure you that I always have plenty of food on my truck.  Sometimes unexpectedly I have to operate like I am this week, or also I might get caught like I did last winter in Indiana where the interstate is closed and hundreds of trucks are parked at a truck stop for several days.  I remember on about our third day there the restaurant ran out of food because no trucks were allowed to come in.  It got interesting around there for a little bit.  People act crazy when they don't have access to food.  Tonight I had Ritz crackers with a slice of Swiss cheese, and a dollop of deviled ham with a cocktail onion nestled in the middle of it all.  Delicious - and fun to create also!



You can tell I'm tired when creating snacks for my supper amuses me.  I'm going to bed early tonight, and looking forward to another day tomorrow of delivering the worlds goods to the industrious folks who produce the things that the consumers want.  Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. Your 'dinner' is hilarious! And I mean that as a compliment; you plated the meal as if you were having guests over, you didn't just lump the topped crackers together in a pile. And I love the cocktail onion on top. The only thing missing is the glass of Riesling on the side, but I know... not while you're on duty.

    Back in the mid-90's I worked at a full-service Holiday Inn in Richmond, VA... an ice storm hit, and most of the area was without power for 10 days or more. After about a week our restaurant started running out of food, as we weren't getting food deliveries either. Near the end our chef was just getting creative, making do with the limited ingredients he had.

    The Adirondacks; don't hear of them much. I was fortunate to have a father who took me camping quite a bit as a child; twice we took canoe trips in the Adirondacks, setting in at Long Lake Village, paddling our way up Long Lake, camping on the side, and then into a river it drained into. At a campsite along the river, we found a lean-to that my Dad used when he was a scout, and found his initials he had carved into the side some 40 years before.

    Western and upstate New York is beautiful; I had a girlfriend from Buffalo... we may several weekend dashes up to Buffalo in my company mini-van. Rolling hills, dairy farms, I always loved the drive through NY. That's the NY most people don't know about.

    ReplyDelete