Thursday, December 4, 2014

Moving On

To do well at this job one must always be moving.  In fact, that is what I get paid to do.  I don't get paid by the hour, nor do I get a salary, I get paid by the miles dispatched to me.  Today I got to my second stop on this load in Louisville KY, where it took them a little longer to unload me than I had anticipated, then I moved my way back up to Indianapolis, IN for two stops there.  My Driver manager had arranged for me to have an appointment at our terminal in Indy to get my truck serviced, and I had to get that done before I could make my next two stops.  I barely made it to the terminal in time for my appointment.  Then my second stop here was going to be closed at 3:30, and I wasn't sure I could make that.  I stayed in contact with them on the phone and it ended up that I made it to their location at 3:29, but they knew I was running late and they agreed to get me unloaded.

Do you remember that photo from the previous post?  All those different bundles of aluminum extrusions on my trailer have now been off loaded with the exception of one.  I am now making the final leg of this journey to Wausau, WI carrying  only one bundle of product!

I'm spending the night at the Pilot in Gary, Indiana with the express purpose of getting up early to get through Chicago before the traffic gets started too heavy.  To be honest with you there is always traffic in Chicago, but early mornings are usually the best times to go through that place.  Once I'm unloaded in Wausau, I will roll on over to Eau Claire, WI to pick up something from a "sand and gravel company" that will go down into the Baton Rouge area of Louisiana.

My friend Daniel Babayev called today to tell me he has a load to Baton Rouge this weekend, so we may try to see each other if it all works out.  I am very tired tonight and will soon be going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment