Sunday, March 22, 2020

I'm Hearing Voices!



I ran through the night last night and around 0400 I parked my rig at the Harrisonburg Travel Center in Harrisonburg, VA. After sleeping for about six hours I got out of the truck to check my load and take a walk. As I was putting my foot down to the bottom step on my tractor I clearly heard a nearby and cheerful female voice say, "Good morning!"

I looked to my right - nobody in sight. My truck's open door is blocking my view in the other direction. I climb on down and close the door expecting to see the source of this voice, and there's nobody. I'm puzzling over this now and not sure I want to move out into the open. Where did this voice come from, and why haven't they revealed themselves to me? I know I heard someone greet me - where are they?

I pause for a moment, tuck my shirt into my pants, and turn around facing the side of the reefer trailer attached to the truck that parked "nose in" next to me. I'm still bewildered as to where this voice is coming from, when I hear it again saying, "Don't let me startle you." At this point I just blurt out with, "You might as well give up on that. I'm always startled when invisible people start a conversation with me." I figured that would bring them out of hiding!

Then the phantom lady says, "I'm down here. I didn't want you to be surprised if you spotted me." So, I look down, and there she is. She's laying on the ground underneath the reefer! She's an owner/operator laying underneath her trailer repairing a leaking air line! I gave her a hand and was relieved to know that I wasn't "hearing voices."

It was funny to me. Just last week one of my son in laws asked me when I was going to retire. I told him, "When I start talking nonsense and soiling my pants, I believe I will go home and be as much trouble as I can to my kids!" Then all of a sudden I'm hearing voices in the truck stop parking lot. I thought, okay my time may be getting near. I'm happy and relieved to know I may have a few more years left in me to keep chasing that white line.

Keep trucking my friends, and just ignore those voices if you're hearing them.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to read your post!!! I'm always checking your blog almost daily.

    It's March 23rd and we also are on I-81. We're spending tonight in the Wytheville KOA (Exit 77). I'm pulling our enclosed "Code Blue Racing" 25 foot trailer back to Albany, NY from Dallas and then Atlanta. The Midwinter Championships were canceled so no sailboat racing. I also just got word that our "home" sailing club at Saratoga Lake will not open. We plan to stop in Hagerstown tomorrow night. Then we'll pick a route up to Albany County....either straight up to Binghamton and then I-88 to Cobleskill and then country roads through the Northern Catskills...…. or I-81 to I-78 to I-287 to I-87....or I-81 to Scranton then I-84 to I-87. Depends on the forecast in the higher elevations.

    Keep us up-to-date on your travels. They may be routine to you but it's an adventure for us!

    ReplyDelete