Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Texas Two Step

I saw miles and miles of Texas,
All the stars up in the sky,
I saw miles and miles of Texas,
I'm going to live there till I die.

                                -Asleep At The Wheel


I was given a load to Texas this week due to the fact that I had a Doctor's appointment that needed to be met.  It had three stops on it...

✔ Terrel, TX

✔ Rockwall, TX

✔ Sherman, TX

Everything was going well, but all of these locations had Monday delivery appointments so that I could go home afterwards, make my appointment the next day, and then enjoy a few days off.  The third location in Sherman stops receiving at 1300, and the first two both took their sweet time to unload me.  It turned out that I couldn't make it by one o'clock, but I was only about fifteen minutes late.  I called ahead and warned them and they said to come on ahead and we would see how it went.  When I got there I was not the only person who was running late because there were three trucks ahead of me waiting to be unloaded.  Eventually they came out to my truck and said that I would have to spend the night and get unloaded in the morning!

This is one of those times that I couldn't do that because I absolutely needed to get home.  I talked to their head guy in receiving and he couldn't help me, but he did say that there was no hurry on them getting this material.  He told me to just go home and come back when I got ready!  I talked to my dispatcher, who knew the man that told me that and he said to go ahead, take care of my needs and go back when I was ready.  It's kind of crazy, but I will get paid now for the extra miles, because they are going to re-route me to accommodate my needs due to the fact that the customer agreed to do it this way.

It's kind of like doing the Texas Two Step!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherman, TX...home of Buck Owens. Rockwall...have raced my sailboat there. Terrel...will have to go there someday! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain Terryble, you're good with your history. Buck Owens was indeed from Sherman, TX. They even have a highway named after him there - I was on it for a little while. I also heard him being played on the radio while there!

    ReplyDelete