Monday, January 2, 2017

Onward Through The Fog!

I am parked in Riverdale, New Jersey tonight.  After ten days off for the Christmas Holidays I got back on the road three days ago, New Year's Eve.  I left my hometown of Nacogdoches, TX and went to the SAPA plant in Delhi, Louisiana under a heavy fog.  I am still in that heavy fog and drizzle tonight, and it promises to still be hovering all over me for tomorrow too.  I will make three stops in Connecticut tomorrow and after I am empty I will be heading over to Cressona, Pennsylvania for a back haul load that delivers to Memphis, TN and Paragould, Arkansas.  I shouldn't complain, but frankly I am sick of this dense fog every moment of every day.

I had a really great time at home with my family.  My three daughters were there, and while Sarah's husband, "Austin" was there, we also had the special treat of a couple of other young men tagging along with our other two daughters.  As the only man in this household for all these years, I must confess it was nice to have some other "guys" around during the holidays.

We all had a great time together, and I cooked up a couple of special meals for everybody.  We had a really nice Shrimp Boil one evening with everybody but Esther, who was in Houston picking up her fiancee, "Andrew," at the airport .  We did it up Cajun style by pouring the pot of shrimp out in the middle of the table for folks to just reach in there and grab what they wanted.  I threw a few potatoes in the pot also along with some Venison sausage.  We served this all up with a nice Caesar Salad, and some French bread with Garlic and butter.  "Laisser les bons temps rouler"...



Then on another evening My wife and I had an intimate dinner with Abigail and "Bennet," her young beaux.  We cooked up some Rib Eye steaks, and I had Abigail and Bennet help me make a sauce to pour over some grilled shrimp, by using the drippings from the steaks that I had seared in a cast iron skillet, along with some butter, shallots, celery, and garlic.  There was a great time had by all, but especially by me.  I always enjoy cooking for the folks I love, and the fact that we were all together over the holidays made it extra special for me.

Taking ten days off for the holidays just about ruined me.  Let me tell you, it was really hard leaving home!  I really enjoy my job, but it is always a struggle for me to get back on the road after spending such a nice time with the people I love.  I am doubly blessed in my marriage, and maybe our absence from each other makes our hearts grow fonder, but I have got to admit that it gets harder to leave her whenever I spend more than a few days at home.

When I was on my way home I stopped at the Love's Truck Stop in Greenwood, LA to get some fuel and I pulled up behind this truck.  I actually remember one time getting passed by this truck in New York, and was frustrated that I couldn't get a photo of the back doors, but here they were again with me at this truck stop in Louisiana.  Take a look at what it says on the doors...


3 comments:

  1. Gosh...if she's got an inside width of 101"....add a couple inches for the outside width....she might be a little on the chuffy side. I hate to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Cajun shrimp, but then you had to mention venison sausage too? What a feast that must have been! Do you bobtail it home, and then back to Delhi? And if you do get to drive your truck home, looks like about a 3 & 3/4 hr drive, do you still have to abide by DOT/HOS regulations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete, sometimes I will bobtail home and other times I pull an empty trailer. The trailers are critical on this dedicated account, because we need to keep enough empty trailers at the plant for them to load while we are out on the road with our present loads. Anytime I am going to be home for an extended stay, more than two or three days I will drop my trailer in Delhi and bobtail home. Usually when I go home I am on a load to Texas anyways, so I will just go by the house once I am empty and stay at home for a few days. For the Holidays I knew I was going to stay home for about ten days, so I dropped my trailer in Delhi and bobtailed home. I always go by the HOS rules even if I am bobtailing home.

    ReplyDelete