Monday, June 1, 2015

Cooking on the Road

I love to cook.  It is one of the many things I miss by being on the road.  I do what I can to eat right while living out here on the road, but it is tough.  This weekend I did a little grocery shopping and decided I would get a couple of Cornish hens and try cooking them in the Crock-Pot.

I started out by putting some chopped garlic in the bottom of the pot.



Then I sliced some onion real thin and added that into the pot.



Then about two tablespoons of my favorite salsa - Herdez Salsa Casera.



Now I added the small Cornish hen.  Do you know what a Cornish hen is?  It is not a baby chicken, it is a full grown Bantam breed which has great genetics for growing to full size quickly and having a large breast and very fine quality meat.  Just a little Chicken trivia for you from a guy who really enjoyed raising chickens at one time.  I also put some seasoning on the bird and topped it all off with some more chopped garlic.  You just can't get too much garlic in there!



After a while into the cooking process, when the pot began to accumulate some liquids from the bird beginning to stew, I added some carrots.



When I completed driving all night last night from Delhi, Louisiana to Greeneville, Tennessee I opened up the lid to see this beautifully hot and tasty meal awaiting my consumption.  It was delicious and a pleasant way to finish off a hard day of giving it all I could to support my family.



I'll be driving all night again tonight as I make my way over into Upstate New York on my way to Connecticut.  You want to know my secret for staying awake on these all night trips?  Well, of course you want to get some good rest before you take off, but I also like to have something crunchy to snack on.  Chips and Sweet Sodas will take their toll on a truck driver - just take a look at most of them and you'll know what I mean.  So, I bought me some apples and baby carrots to snack on while I'm driving.



By the way, the subtle flavors of the chicken were delicious.  The carrots infused a bit of a sweetness into the meat, and that blended with the garlic and a hint of Serrano peppers from the salsa made it a real treat.  The only thing that could have made the meal any better would have been to have my dear wife here with me to "pull" the tiny wish-bone with.


1 comment:

  1. My wife asked me what to do with the leftovers; I can't tell if the hen you just cooked can be eaten in one meal or not, but I told her there would be a refrigerator in the truck to put leftovers in if need be. She was more concerned however with buying chicken to put in the crock pot; it's difficult to find a package of one.

    ReplyDelete