Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Chicken in Every Pot

Tonight I am in Charlotte, North Carolina.  I'm spending the night at a Knight terminal here, simply because I was scheduled to come here for a fuel stop on my way to Laurens, South Carolina, and it just worked out to be a convenient location to spend the night also.  Sleeping at the terminals is usually really nice because you are in a secure location with a locked gate and you don't have to worry about being able to find a parking spot.

I delivered my three stop load in Connecticut on Wednesday morning and then they had me scheduled to go to Cressona, Pennsylvania to pick up this load of aluminum rods that I'm delivering in Laurens first thing tomorrow.  I'm hoping to get everything worked out so that I can get home for my youngest daughters graduation celebration from High School on Sunday, but I just can't tell yet if everything will work out right or not.

I started my day today by putting my second Cornish Hen (I purchased a two pack of them) in the crock-pot along with some coarsely chopped onion, some chopped garlic, thick sliced carrots, and one coarsely chopped celery stick with the leaves, and about three cups of water.  I drove the better part of the day with the delicious smell of that hen "stewing" in the pot.  Then when I took my thirty minute break today I de-boned the meat and added it back into the broth so that I could have a nice home-made (truck-made) meal of chicken and noodle soup tonight.  Later I added some chopped link sausage, and some old Ramen noodles that have been riding around the country with me for much too long.  It was delicious, but only serves to remind me of how good my wife is at making soups.  I take my meals alone, but a meal this good is just begging to be shared with someone you love.

Here's how it looked when I started it this morning.



This is what the final product looked like.



And would you like to know where I was when I put this chicken in the pot?  I had just finished eating the breakfast special called "old fashioned eggs" (4.50, and more than I could eat) at a place well known to my family on I-78 exit 6 in Pennsylvania.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, answers my wife's question about buying chicken; clearly you had the other hen in the fridge waiting to be cooked. That soup looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete