Monday, August 25, 2014

Some Days It's Hard To Believe I'm Getting Paid To Do This

Well it seems that after I delivered those light poles I have been bouncing back and forth from Southern California to Arizona for the whole week.  It is a wonderfully beautiful desert area that is intriguingly harsh and yet has it's own appealing features.  I kind of figured that I would get dispatched to one of the copper mines in the area while here, and finally I did go to one in Hayden Arizona.  This is one that I have not visited before, but I would like to return someday as it was a stunningly beautiful journey.  The driving was as challenging as the scenery was breathtaking.  I passed through a portion of Arizona that is an Apache reservation territory that includes a beautiful canyon called the Salt River Canyon.  Here is my truck loaded down with about 48,000 pounds of copper anodes sitting high atop the ridge of this canyon.



Signs like this are not exactly a welcome sight when you are trying to keep 80,000 pounds of rolling steel under control and still be able to half way enjoy the view.



I've covered this nation pretty well so far in my travels and I've go to tell you that this was one of the most scenic routes I've been on yet while driving this big truck.  I also learned something about truck drivers that I didn't know yet.  Apparently truck drivers have two sets of ears, and the state of Arizona expects us to use our "lower ears" when trying to descend these mountains.



Maybe our "lower ears" don't pop as easily while going down these steep mountain roads.  That sign just tickled me, it reminded me of my story about the sign that had something about the "Untied States of America" on it.

Well the old saying says that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I'm so tired tonight I'm not sure I can produce a lot of words, so I am just going to let you take a look at what I was trying to look at while descending into this beautiful canyon while earning my daily bread this week.
















1 comment: