Monday, May 20, 2013

Well, it's official, they've made me an actual employee and they have issued me a truck.  I haven't seen it yet because it's an abandoned truck that is sitting at a truck stop in Roanoke VA,  but some time tonight there is another truck driver coming through Nashville to pick me up and take me with him as he drives through Virginia.  He will drop me off at the truck stop so I can get the truck and start my official solo career.  I'm really trying to get home for Abigail's ballet on the 25th.  I hope everything works out - I made it clear to my driver manager that it was very important that I get there for this occasion, so we'll see how well he pays attention to his driver's concerns.  I will be seriously disappointed if I can't make it home for this annual event.

It's one of the most difficult parts of this type of work that you can't always be there for the people you love on their special occasions or when they might be sick or just troubled about things that are going on in their lives.  Sometimes it's just heartbreaking to not be able to offer a hug or a gentle pat on the back when things aren't going so well for your dear children and loving wife.  I will have been gone for seven weeks if I get home in time for the ballet recital - it's just too long, and I hope in the future it won't have to be such lengthy absences.  Sometimes after talking to them on the phone, I get all choked up just because of the sound of their voices, and just the reality of the fact that their lives go on without you being there.  The truck driver gives up a lot to pursue his career, and his family gives up a lot to allow him to be out there turning the miles into money.

I don't mean to sound disheartening, I'm excited to get this thing off the ground, but it is definitely a career that has some big negatives to it.  I'm so thankful to have my absolutely supportive wife and children pulling for me and keeping the home fires burning.  I love each of you dearly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping you made it to your daughter's recital. Picking up a truck abandoned at a truck stop sounds sketchy... hope it's in good condition.

    ReplyDelete