Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The things you see on the road

There never seems to be any end to the amusing things that one sees when traveling around the country.  Here's a very random shot at sharing some of the things I've witnessed lately.  At a truck stop I recently saw a lady who was travelling, albeit I guess, on a tight budget.  Instead of sleeping at a hotel she was out in the middle of the parking lot with a fold out lounge chair snoring away right out there under the stars.  At another truck stop there was an old school bus painted up with 60's looking graphics and about 6 or 7 people living in it that looked like they were lost in some sort of time warp or something.  I mean they could have been hippies from the Vietnam war era.  These were not old hippies that just never got over it, but young people in their twenties.  They were apparently out of money for gas so they were walking around the parking lot serenading people with their ukuleles and singing songs to passers by hoping for a few coins to be tossed their way.

This morning while leaving south Texas I saw a feral sow happily trotting down the highway with her head held high like she knew what she was doing, and her tail wagging gleefully while nine little piglets marched in line behind her doing their best to look just as dignified and confident as their mother.

I've also witnessed some beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  Just before seeing the pigs this morning I started out under a beautiful south Texas sunrise.  Well I was in Laredo this morning and I will be in Ohio tomorrow, I will have traveled more than 3,000 miles before this weeks over with.  But that's a good thing when you're getting paid by the mile.

I also got to get home this past weekend, and all my girls were there - what a treat that was.  It was really wonderful to sleep in my own bed, sit at my own table, and see the people I hold dear.  My wife was just as lovely and sweet as ever - I miss her incredibly while out here, and wish I could be home more than I am, but that's the life of a "road warrior".

1 comment: