Monday, March 27, 2017

Unusual Circumstances

There are no limits to the new challenges you will face or the unusual circumstances that will arise with each day's responsibilities as a new truck driver, or even as an experienced driver.  It is in how you handle them that will often determine both your success and/or your contentment with this job.

Allow me the liberty to insert a little story here that goes all the way back to 1978, during the days when I started college.  This story comes to mind because I realize that I often use the word success in here, and I want you to understand how I define success.  I still remember the look of bewilderment on a certain young college student, who was leading a small group of us in an orientation class, as they read my response out loud to the group of us whom they had asked to give a one word definition for the word "success."  Most of the respondents had used some such word like "wealth," or "affluence."  I put down the word "contentment," which was something I had already thought through, and aspired to have this one attribute as a firm foundation in my life and future career.

Now, if you have been around many truck drivers you have surely come to realize that most of them are far from being "content," in fact many of them are much like the recent Knight driver I came across while picking up this current load I'm under at the SAPA plant in Cressona, Pennsylvania.  He felt compelled to come over to me and start slamming the company that I am very satisfied with and telling me how they were a bunch of Bozos who can't seem to get anything right.  He was at the SAPA plant to pick up a load to get him home, and he wasn't happy about some ridiculous detail about the load that was not even remotely related to Knight's ability to run a successful trucking operation.  He actually sent a message on the Qualcomm to weekend dispatch telling them he was not going to take the load, and he was heading home on their fuel and coming back on their fuel because he didn't like this one small (insignificant in my opinion) detail about the load they gave him.

If you are new to this, you might as well be prepared to encounter these types, they are everywhere.  I took a minute to ask him a few questions, one of which was, "How long have you been with the company?"  I thought maybe his answer would establish the fact that he had little knowledge of the company and he might reconsider his authoritative declaration of their incompetence.  Boy, was I right!  Two weeks was his response!  I also found out that he was going to drive a total of 1,260 miles to get home and back without being under a dispatched load.  I advised him against it, and warned him that he might not be there much longer than the two weeks that he was already complaining about, but he left in huff anyway, looking at me as if I were some sort of an idiot who puts up with all the nonsense that these trucking companies will dish out to the fools who will take it.

Okay, back to my subject of unusual circumstances.  I picked this load up on Saturday.  It is an assortment of different shaped extruded aluminum pieces with six different stops on the load.  Four of the customers that I should deliver to today, Monday morning, require a 48 hour notice to schedule an appointment, impossible to do when they are not even there on Saturday.  I'll let you know on my next post how that turns out, but I can tell you now that I am going to put to work my good customer service skills and see if I can get myself into those four customers and deliver today.  Here is a look at the load...



Recently I ran up on an unusual circumstance while making a delivery in Houston, Texas.  The final customer on my load was on a very narrow residential street (houses on one side, and businesses on the other) with no place to put a big truck on their property.  I had to get unloaded while parked in the street.  They had to get product off from both sides of the truck because their fork lift only had four foot long forks.  I parked facing one direction on the street so they could get their stuff off from the safety of their parking lot, and then I had to go down the road and find a place to turn around so I could come back and park facing the other direction so they could get the final part of their load off.

Here's a look at what we did...




This current load will deliver to the following places...

✔O'neal Steel in Mobile, Alabama

✔Aluminum & Stainless, Inc. in New Orleans, LA

✔Ryerson Procurement Corporation in Saint Rose, LA

✔Samuel Son & Company in Baton Rouge, LA

✔Aluminum & Stainless, Inc. in Broussard, LA

✔AFL Telecommunications in Lake Charles, LA

Six stops on a flat-bed load is an unusual circumstance on it's own, but serving this dedicated customer requires this type of delivery often times.  There is additional pay for each stop you make, and once you get the hang of how to handle these multiple stops it really can go quite well.

Of course some of the unusual circumstances we come across are very pleasant ones.  This sunrise scene from the parking area that I slept in at Yarde Metals in Connecticut last week was a pleasant surprise to witness as it took shape, and it is unusual for most folks who work a "normal job" to enjoy just such a sight as this while they are out there making a living.


10 comments:

  1. That sky is so tranquil and gorgeous...what a huge reward~~~!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knight and Swift to merge. New company name will be Knight-Swift. Looks like the new company will be the 3rd largest after UPS and FedEx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ Is that merger going to have any effect on you? No updates recently, just wondering. Hope you had a Happy Easter~!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The merger will have little to no effect on the drivers. It is more of a stock holder thing than anything else. Knight and Swift have a long history together. The guys that started Knight all worked at Swift, and are still great friends with Jerry Moyes, the (retired now) "big cheese" at Swift. It is mostly a money thing where the stock-holders in both companies want to improve their investment opportunities. It should serve as a strengthening for each of the companies involved, and I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing other companies pulled into it at a later date.

      Delete
  4. Northeast weather has been good for quite a while. Hope you're doing well on the road!

    I don't have first hand knowledge of trucking but continue to take pictures of trucks.

    I'm still working on my blog about the industry and trying to create a data base for anyone interested.

    I'm almost up to 500 trucking companies. To check it out you can go to:
    http://trucksonamericaninterstates.blogspot.com/

    Maybe someday you'll drive by and I'll catch a picture of Knight dedicated to SAPA!

    From Upstate New York,
    Captain T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Captain, if it ever works out, I'll gladly let you take a shot of my truck.

      Delete
  5. Dale, I'm curious what was the one tiny detail the other driver didn't like about the load? Did he explain how or why it upset him to the point that he wouldn't accept the load and drove over 1,200 miles on the company dime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, you may be surprised by this, but the reason he didn't like the load was because he was going to have to tarp it! For some reason he was convinced he was going to be pulling Conestogas most of the time on this account, and while we do pull them, we also tarp our loads when on regular flat-bed trailers. I tarp a lot of my loads, and I get some that are on Conestogas also, but he was in such a hurry to go home, that he was frustrated by the fact that he was going to have to take the time to tarp his load.

      Paul, I know it sounds crazy to you, but there are a lot of drivers out here who think they are one hot commodity, and they can act like spoiled children and still keep their jobs. He was mistaken, because I followed up on him and he is already gone from the company.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply but... I'm just dumbfounded by his response/attitude. I'm still doing software development and I frequently get assignments that I just flat out don't want to do or even hate just thinking about them. Still, it's my job, it gives me a paycheck (which I like), and, once it's done, I will move on to the next assignment. I guess I don't get the crybaby attitude. Do the sucky job and move on to the next one.

      I'm guessing I'll be okay when I start trucking. I'll have the same attitude as I do now. I'll enjoy some loads and I'll deal with others; I don't complain at work so I doubt I'll complain to my dispatcher. It's the same thing here. If I complain to my manager, I'll get fewer assignments and that would not be a good thing for my longevity here. Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Paul, one of the things about trucking that will become obvious to you when you first get started is that trucking attracts a lot of "type A" personalities who think they are the boss, and everything about it has to be done their way. It is a very independent job, with little to no supervision, at least not with a supervisor that you have any sort of human contact with. We are out here in our trucks, receiving our information on what we need to be doing via electronic messages, and their is very little reason to even talk to anyone at the office at times. I could easily go a month or two without ever even seeing my driver manager.

      Because of the nature of the job, an independent person will usually excel at it, while a person who needs more guidance and reassurance on a daily basis will often times struggle with it. These things about this job make for an environment where strong willed stubborn people who normally have trouble getting along with others in a typical work environment can get by with being their typically unpleasant hard-headed selves and still keep their jobs. I have even heard my driver manager refer to putting up with some of these types as just part of his job. As long as they are a decent driver who gets things done he is willing to put up with some "know it all's" who are mouthing off at times.

      Truck drivers do not have the best reputation in the world as nice considerate folks who one would really enjoy sitting down with to enjoy a good meal. They are considered by many to be loud-mouthed, brazenly independent types who do things by their own standards, and may not be the cleanest freshest smelling persons in the world. Think about the stereotypical way that Hollywood has cast most truckers in movies such as "Smokey & The Bandit," or others, and you will have an idea of what I'm talking about.

      It really is a diverse group of people out here doing this job, but there are a lot of the stereotypical types out here who keep us cast in a certain light with most of the general public. The fellow we are referring to was straight up the typical hard-headed loud mouth trucker who insisted on everything being done his way or no way. Of course he is hopping around to different truck driving jobs all the time, and complaining vehemently about how the trucking companies are treating him.

      Delete