Wednesday, December 7, 2016

First Snow

Well, everything went really well for me today.  I was able to execute my plans without any glitches. I left the Petro in Scranton, Pennsylvania this morning close to 0400 and was in Queensbury, New York just in time for my 0800 delivery appointment.  As soon as I started getting a little further North from Scranton I started seeing some snow.  There was a good layer of snow on the ground at Apex Solar Power, where I delivered three bundles of extrusions.  Here's a shot of them unloading me with a Lull construction lift...



When I left from that first stop I wound my way down on some state highways through New York and Massachusetts and on into Connecticut.  It was a little slow going since most of the time the speed limits were somewhere between 45 and 55, plus there are a lot of small towns on that route with traffic lights that seem peculiarly timed to make you stop at least three times in each little town that you go through!

I made it here to Southington, Connecticut around 1400, and took a nice walk and found me some lunch at a Mongolian Grill restaurant here called "Gobi's."  I am parked on the property here at Yarde Metals.  Their receiving hours start at 0400, but they stop at noon.  There just wasn't a way for me to make it here today in time to get unloaded. so I will have another break here, just as I did in Scranton, that is longer than the required ten hours.  You want to try to keep those breaks to ten hours and then get rolling again, but some times it is just not possible to make everything work perfectly out here. When things go awry just a little like this you just try to make the best of the situation and do something to enjoy yourself out here.  I always enjoy taking walks for exercise, and when I have extra time like this I will generally take myself out for a nice meal.

In the morning I will deliver six bundles here at Yarde, then I will proceed over to Bristol and deliver at Reed and Stephanow.  After that I make my final stop at Stanley, in Farmington.  Then I am done with this load.  I'll turn in my paperwork, which is so easy to do now days with a smart phone app, and I will proceed to go pick up my back haul load.

My dispatcher contacted me last night and told me that we have some return materials to be picked up at Tri-State Aluminum in Bridgewater, New Jersey.  So, I won't be going to the SAPA plant in Cressona after all.  I really like these return loads.  They are usually very light due to the fact that they will generally be just a couple of bundles of material, and they take me directly back to the plant in Delhi, Louisiana.

I'll be back in here tomorrow with some photos of my stops, and some commentary to fill you in on how everything went for me.

1 comment:

  1. We got about 3 inches of snow overnight in the northern Catskill foothills and I was wondering if you were going to have trouble. Either if you came up I-88...or if you went over I-84 to I-87. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete