Saturday, October 8, 2016

Taking It Easy

"Well, I'm running down the road
trying to loosen my load.
Got a world of trouble on my mind..."

-Jackson Browne

I'm taking a little break today.  I really work all the time.  This career is very demanding, and requires a lot of long hours.  Those are not complaints, because I actually very much enjoy what I do, but they are the reality of being successful at this career.  I always speak of it as a career, and not just a job. The truth is that it is more of a lifestyle than anything else.

I felt so sad today after speaking to my wife on the phone this morning.  I feel her difficulties tremendously at times.  It is hard being separated all the time, but she bears it well.  Some days I can feel her weariness though, and that troubles me.  I wish I could be there just to ease her concerns with the small details of life that slowly and cumulatively wear you down.  She is a fine woman, and a strong one too.  I am doubly blessed to have her in my life.  She makes me a complete person, a man with a purpose, and I love her for bringing a richness into my life.  We did enjoy a weekend retreat together last week at The Mansion At Red Hill, a bed and breakfast located right here in Delhi, Louisiana.  She joined me here to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary.  We had a really nice relaxing visit together.

We have such crazy regulations that we have to work under as truck drivers, and one of them is the Hours of Service rules (HOS).  I have already used up the seventy hours I'm allowed to work in eight days, so I can't really work legally today anyway since this is only my seventh day.  Oh, I had a few hours left, but nothing worth trying to use up.  So, I'm taking a 34 hour break, which will reset my clock back to the beginning.  It's okay, I'll catch up on some undone things like laundry, and maybe do a little grocery shopping, but to be honest with you I'm not overly tired, and I feel like getting to work and being productive.

My next load will take me up to Bolingbrook, IL.  It is a JIT load (Just in Time).  We were recently told that if we are late on this load that our dispatcher and the head of the shipping department at SAPA are both going to be fired!  They don't just give this load to anyone because of that.  It didn't used to be this serious, but we had a few drivers who were consistently late, and the customer threw a fit about it.  They are a big customer, and just like the customer I handle in Connecticut, they are such a profitable connection for SAPA that they are able to make all kinds of demands and SAPA just agrees to whatever they want.

I got some high praise from my dispatcher this week.  He made an analogy between me and "Rocky Balboa" as he was complimenting me and letting me know how much he appreciates all my efforts.  I had sent him a text message apologizing about a small mistake I had made on a "loaded call" macro that I had sent in to the company with my on board computer system.  I was asking him if he could go in and fix my mistake for me.  His response was not anything like what I was expecting.  Here is some screen shots of his part of the conversation...





I was in Connecticut this week and the fall foliage is just starting to show up now.  This is always my favorite part of the year, and has been for much of my life.  The weather is always so pleasant, and the new infusion of color into everything outdoors is a real treat for the eyes.  Here's some of what I saw this week while in Farmington, Connecticut.











I don't spend a lot of time on this blog lately, but I will post something in here every now and then when I get the urge.  I hope you enjoy what you find, and I'll keep at it as I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment