Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Three Years In

This month marks my third anniversary as an Over the Road truck driver.

Here's some reflections on my experiences and the things I've learned:

There are a lot of nuts in this business.  So many of the people that drive trucks have "odd" personalities.  It is a unique job that allows you to not have to interact very much with others, and therefore it attracts a good number of people who don't function well in society.

There are a lot of brazen type of folks in this business.  Having a type A personality in this business will help you succeed, it is just as much a demanding job as being a self employed person.  A lot of determination and drive (no pun intended) are required.  The ability to make good solid quick decisions that will affect your income and your safety is vital out here, and because of these things the same type of folks who would usually be successful as entrepreneurs are also successful as professional drivers.

There are a lot of lonely people out here driving trucks.  Man, sometimes I cannot avoid a lengthy conversation with some random driver at a cafe.  They just want someone to talk to sometimes.

There is a great diversity of people in this career.  I have met young people, old people (two guys in their eighties) fat people, skinny people. (more fat than skinny though, man it is a tough job to stay trim) I have met a former lawyer, and a former dentist!  There are a lot of people like me who are out here doing this as a second career.  Some of them spent all their life in a different career while secretly wanting to be a truck driver all those years - now when they got the chance they finally took it.  There is just something "cool" about driving such a huge vehicle across the country that appeals to some people.  Even from our childhoods we find trucks to be appealing.  I still remember reading children's books to my kids about trucks!  And who can't resist the charmingly "redneck" appeal of "Towmater" in the movie "Cars?"

This is a job for the independent minded.  You set your own hours, you basically determine how much you want to make by your own measuring cup.  Your willingness to do what others will not (like driving all night, or starting your work day at 1:30 a.m.) will often times put you ahead of the game.

This is a much mis-understood career.  People who are not truck drivers don't understand why truck drivers do the things they do.  People driving cars get irritated with trucks for either going to slow, or going too fast, or for swinging out wide for a turn.  People who are trying to get started as truck drivers usually have completely false expectations of how it will be.  There is a very high failure rate for people just trying to get started in this career.  Something like 90% of the new entrants to the field give up before reaching ninety days into their career!

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore the three people who read this poor excuse of a blog!

I will say this, I really do enjoy this career.  I take every advantage I can to enjoy my time out here. The sacrifices are real, but the pleasure of it are also tangible.  This last week I ran 3,650 miles from Delhi, Louisiana up to Connecticut, then all the way down to Boca Raton, Florida, and back up to Delhi.  It is just now becoming spring like in Connecticut, and yet it was hot as ever down in South Florida.

I took a little walk in Hamden, Connecticut this week and found a surprisingly good little "Greek" restaurant tucked away in what appeared like a convenience store in the neighborhood I was walking through.  I also enjoyed the spring time scenery in that town.  Here's a couple of beautiful trees I spotted while out taking in the fresh air.





Truck driving as a career has it's problems - I really miss my family, and I know the sacrifices they have made are much more than the ones I have been required to make.  I have my days where I just want to be at home with my wife and near my children and my friends.  It is a strange life to constantly be away from those you love.  It makes my time with them more special though, and I can only trust God to keep our bonds as close and tight as they should be.  He brought this amazing career into play for me and I trust Him to keep the circle unbroken.

I realize I am kind of rambling on, but I trust that won't bother you who follow this drivel.  I am looking forward to continuing on in my career, and hoping I can provide you with a little bit of interesting commentary on the occasions that I get to jump in here with something to say.

By the way, my incision from the surgery is healing very nicely and I'm not quite as ugly as I thought I'd be, or maybe I'm just getting accustomed to the way I look now - who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment